EMBASSY OF UZBEKISTAN TO THE UNITED STATES
NEWS AND EVENTS
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007
2006
2005
2004

 
NEWS AND EVENTS
January 24, 2005
CENTRAL ELECTION COMMISSION REGISTERS ELECTED SENATORS
Upper chamber of the Uzbek parliament was officially formed on Monday. Central Election Commission registered 84 elected Senators, while the President of Uzbekistan appointed 16 Senators with his decree.

Central Election Commission held a session on 24 January to discuss the results of elections to Senate of Oliy Majlis. CEC head Buritosh Mustafaev chaired the meeting.

The press service of the Central Election Commission said all layers of the population would be represented in the newly created upper house of Oliy Majlis.

15% of Senators represent agriculture sector, 20% of Senate members are representatives of education, science and culture, while industrial complex will have 10% of seats in the Senate.

Fifteen percent of Senate members are women representing different spheres.

Seven nations will be represented in the upper house of parliament, in particular 89% are Uzbeks and the remaining 11% are Karakalpaks, Russians, Turkmen, Kazakhs, Ukrainians and Koreans.

Central Election Commission said no law violations were registered during the election process to Senate of Oliy Majlis.

It is expected that the list of Senators will be published in the local press on Tuesday.


Back

   Back to the top    Print version   
© 2004, Embassy of Uzbekistan to the United States.
All Rights Reserved.
 Design.uz Studio
Design.uz Studio
Site Development